Monday, March 23, 2009

air for the sandblaster



Just got back from hauling my new air compressor home. I had to haul it over the Cascade mtns on Stevens Pass with my old, trusty Subaru. Pretty slow pulling up thru the grade but, all in all, she did jsut fine.

It's a older Sollair. Four cylinder GM gas engine driving a 100 cfm compressor. I had been getting depressed looking around for a compressor as everything I found was in the 3 - 5 thousand buck range. I knew that rental charges would kill me, but how could I justify plunking down several grand to by one? Well, I found this one on Craigslist for $550 (I wonder why the 50!?). It even had a fresh rebuild on the engine. The catch? The engine hadn't been run since the rebuild...hmmn. Well, it all looks good--new frost plugs, gaskets, engine painted. The guy--a nice guy whom I trusted right away and ultimately, in my book, that's worth lots--reported that he just is too busy and it is one of those almost-finished projects.

So, I'll drain the gas, squirt a bit of oil, put in a new battery and we'll see what happens.

No comments:

Post a Comment