Monday, March 23, 2009

(de) cart

Rene Decart - is a great French philosopher who was the first to connect the ideas of the greatest Italian physicist and German astronomer. Decart verified Galilei law about inertia and constructed the mechanism of Universe, where all the solids are made more by pushing.

So, I took this great little cart I got from a ranch up the Entiat River road and am going to turn it into my sandblaster cart. It's the coolest thing: art deco look to it, big silver steel wheels and built to haul a heavy load. I couldn't even guess as to what it was originally, but I know that it's last life was as a mobile air compressor.

As I stripped off all the unneeded stuff, I began getting a sense of the man--the rancher/welder from the Entiat River--who made it. He didn't have much money, turning making-do into an art form. Indeed, none of the twenty or so bolts I took off were the same. They all were scrounged out of an old Maxwell coffee can, no doubt. And the cart/air compressor wasn't pretty. But he wasn't building it to be pretty; he was building it to work, to deliver air. Cobbling together an mysterious compressor from some refrigeration unit, a handmade expansion tank, a small electric motor, a belt to drive it, and an emergency brake from an old car to serve as the belt tensioner.

Just stop for a minute to measure the huge distance from this machine to "Oh, I need a compressor" and driving down to Home Depot and buying something made in Korea and shrouded with plastic.

His unit meant something to him and it does, now, to me. And I will reincarnate his cart into something different but similar. I could buy a sandblaster from Harbor Fright, I suppose. But what's the fun in that? Instead I am halfway to mine and it's been a fun story. The cart I've told you about and last week I got a tank for the sand pot from my Friend, Randy. I told him I was looking for a tank..."I've got just the thing for you!" he exclaimed. "Come over to my place right now and we'll load it up in your Subaru.

No comments:

Post a Comment